Sunday 15 April 2012

Royal Botanic Gardens Kew

During a recent jaunt to London I was able to spend some time poking around Kew Gardens, the marvellous botanical garden that houses a breathtaking collection of plants from across the globe! I completed a placement here in my first year of the Careership (pre-blog), and consider it to be a truly wonderful place; something of a haven amongst the smog and litter of our bustling capital. Unfortunately, due to terrible planning and foresight, my camera battery bid me adieu rather early on during the visit! This led to selective photography, firing the blasted thing up with fingers crossed when I stumbled upon something interesting. What larks!

Tulipa kaufmanniana in the Rock Garden

Splashes of Erythronium grandiflorum in the Woodland Garden

The Palm House! A magnificent relic from the Victorian era

Palm House sunset!


I became somewhat preoccupied with the low sun seen through the glass


Fortunately I will have an extended period to capture more images of this glorious garden, as I will be starting there in September as a student of the Kew Diploma in Horticulture! This is another three year training course, joining practical experience with academic endeavours. More information can be found here.

14 comments:

Rosemary said...

Congratulations Bertie that is great news - hope you continue your blog from Kew. Have you visited the Marianne North Gallery at Kew? I wrote a post about Marianne and the gallery last August.

Kaveh Maguire said...

Congratulations on being accepted to the Kew Diploma program. Some friends of mine did that program and I did an internship there for 3 months back in 2004 and loved my time there. Be sure to get a placement in the Duke's Garden!

The Green Lady said...

Ooh what lovely photos you captured in spite of the technical difficulties (I HATE it when my battery runs out, try and career 2 spares now at all times). You're going to be a Master of plants!! congrats!

The Green Lady said...

I meant carry. I must have career on the brain. Looks like yours is advancing in leaps and bounds :)

The Green Lady said...

I meant carry. I must have career on the brain. Looks like yours is advancing in leaps and bounds :)

Doc said...

My Erythroniums are just finishing up. I love your photos of the Palm House

Vesna Maric said...

I am familiar with RBG Kew as I was an intern there. I envy you really; I will never forget this wonderful time of my life.

gardenenvy said...

Beautiful sunset photos, I love the Kew and have had the opportunity to visit twice. I would love to be there again!
Jeannine

Unknown said...

Bertie you are going to be the highest-qualified gardener in Britain. What fun though, you are clearly loving it. teepla

Wife, Mother, Gardener said...

Congrats on your placement, Bertie! What horticultural heights you aspire too. Perhaps we shall get the inside track on Kew as well? :)

I love the kaufmanniana tulips... they seem to last better here than other varieties. Happy April!
Julie

Woodside Park said...

Kew is one of my favorites in London. I've explored almost every part: from the palm house to Queen Charlotte's cottage. Hope you'll see the peacocks roaming there. Cheers from DC, Loi at Tone on Tone

Woodside Park said...

BTW, the little photo of me standing on the bridge was taken at Kew last year :-)

Bertie Bainbridge said...

Greetings all, and many thanks!

Janet said...

Isn't the Palm House stunning. The Victorians certainly knew how to build them!
Congratulations on getting onto the course at Kew, Bertie. You are going to be one well qualified gardener.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...