Tuesday 6 September 2011

Justicia carnea


Flowering now in the Plant House. This gem stormed onto stage last week after being planted this year, and it is certainly one of the most fascinating blooms I have ever stumbled upon! The foliage is pleasing but the real interest is provided by its flowers, with these majestic candelabras of beauty bearing pink flames in the most dramatic fashion! I long to see it outside in a border combining with some other late-season colour, but unfortunately these blighters are tender hence their positioning in the Plant House. Interestingly however, the growth can get leggy in time so the plant is best pruned back each year after flowering. Also, the plants have an average sized root-ball, so these two characteristics make it an ideal candidate for lifting and bringing into the glasshouse over winter. Dreams of planting this out are alive and well!


The undersides of the leaves have this wonderful beetroot colour

4 comments:

Janet said...

I think I'll get myself a Plant House! Is it heated? And how? I could grow so many more tender plants!

sally said...

WOAH. same genus as shrimp plant?

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

I think we ALL need a Plant House. LOL. Beautiful shots, Bertie.

Gardener in the Distance said...

I've seen this striking plant with its rose-wine coloured flowers growing Bertie - I wonder what you'd plant beside it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...